Week 5 for Readers as Leaders!
Thank you for supporting your children in this reading contest. At the end of February, I will turn in all my Gold and Silver Readers! Did you know that:
readers are better thinkers, reading keeps important ideas at the top of your mind, reading keeps you mentally sharp and active, readers can sustain their focus on long term projects, reading is always available and a good use of your time, reading helps us connect to others by connecting to characters in the books we read, readers have a better vocabulary, and reading gives you a bigger perspective of the world. Thank you so much for investing in the success of your child.
The students and I visited about continuing to practice our math facts too. For some, the Moby Max site will be too fast for them. These are the strategies we use to think about our facts in class.
1. We use the Addition Property and begin adding by using the larger digit.
eg. ( 4 + 6 can be turned around to 6 + 4)
2. Doubles are easy to add! 5 + 5, 6+6, 7 + 7, 8 + 8, 9 + 9, 10 + 10, 11 + 11, 12 + 12.
3. Fact Family use the same three numbers for related facts. This is why I like these cards so well. We can practice addition facts as well as subtraction facts.
5 + 6, 6 + 5, 11 - 6, 11 - 5.
4. We use near doubles too for addition.
5 + 5 helps us add 5 + 6, 7 + 7 helps us add 7 + 8.
5. Make a ten and add. 7 + 5 can be thought of as 10 + 2. It is easy to use with problems like 9 + 3, 9 + 4, 9 + 5, etc.
Spelling Words for this Week: